Ran across a great recipe and tried it out on the family this past weekend. It’s quite simple and makes the most moist chicken I’ve ever had. I served it up with some nice Indian rice and a fresh salad – a great meal.
3-5 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs (or use boneless)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3; cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3; cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼-½ teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 cups cooked rice , kept warm
- ¼ cup chopped green onion , green tops only
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, and sauté 3 minutes on each side.
- Combine fruit juices in a large bowl. Stir cornstarch and 1 tablespoon juice mixture together until smooth; set aside.
- Stir soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar, ketchup, red pepper and garlic into remaining juice mixture; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes, turning chicken after 20 minutes. If using boneless chicken, cooking time will only take about 25 minutes.
- Uncover chicken, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Spoon warm rice onto a serving platter, top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with green onions.